SLATERVILLE SPRINGS, N.Y. — An electrical malfunction likely caused a house fire Sunday night in Slaterville Springs, an official said.

[do_widget id= text-55 ]

The fire started just before 9 p.m. at a two-unit home on 2675 Slaterville Road, according to Betsy Harrington, President of the Slaterville Volunteer Fire & Ambulance Company.

Harrington said a woman driving on Route 79 saw flames coming out of the second floor of the home and called 911.

The driver then approached the home to make sure nobody was inside.  A woman who lives in one of the apartments was evacuated from the residence, Harrington said. No injuries were reported.

About five other residents live in the other apartment but were not there when the fire broke out.

Harrington said the blaze started in the living room of one of the residents and traveled up to the second floor. The fire was completely put out in less than an hour.

The residents are temporarily displaced and it is unclear Monday if they’ll be able to return to the residence at a later date, Harrington said.

Slaterville firefighters were assisted at the scene by the Brooktondale Volunteer Fire Company and Speedsville Volunteer Fire Company.

[do_widget id= text-61 ]

Jolene Almendarez

Jolene Almendarez is Managing Editor at The Ithaca Voice. She can be reached at; you can learn more about her at the links in the top right of this box.