Junior goaltender Mitch Gillam made 27 saves to post his second shutout of the weekend
Editor’s Note: Want to give $10 to get $20? Want to see in-depth journalism about Ithaca?
Do both at once! See our 2-week “Spotlight on Ithaca” campaign to help your community — and yourself.

Donate to ‘Spotlight on Ithaca’

[do_widget id= text-55 ]

The following is a republished press release from the Cornell Chronicle and was NOT written by the Ithaca Voice … to submit community announcements to The Voice, contact us at jstein@ithacavoice.com.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. — Sophomore forward Trevor Yates scored in the second period, and junior goaltender Mitch Gillam made 27 saves to post his second shutout of the weekend in the 18th-ranked Cornell men’s hockey team’s 1-0 victory over Brown on Saturday night at Meehan Auditorium.

Cornell (6-1-1, 4-1-1 ECAC Hockey, 2-0-1 Ivy League) was a perfect 4-for-4 on the penalty kill, and junior forward Jake Weidner had five of the team’s 18 blocked shots. The result ended a three-game unbeaten streak for Brown (1-3-3, 1-2-3, 0-3).

Junior goaltender Mitch Gillam made 27 saves to post his second shutout of the weekend
Junior goaltender Mitch Gillam made 27 saves to post his second shutout of the weekend

With his third shutout of the season and fourth of his career, Gillam — the reigning ECAC Hockey Goaltender of the Week — became the first Cornell goalie to post consecutive shutouts since Andy Iles blanked St. Lawrence and Clarkson on Dec. 2-3, 2011.

For the game’s only goal, sophomore defenseman Ryan Bliss started the play with a hard ring around the boards from center ice. Yates was first to the puck in the right corner, poking it back behind the net. Weidner got to it and reversed course, spinning back to his forehand to elude his defender and find Yates open coming out of the corner. Yates then neatly tucked a shot by the right pad of Tim Ernst at the 11:16 mark.

Up until that point, the Bears had generally carried play — though there weren’t many quality chances until late in the first period. With 5:04 remaining, Sam Lafferty eluded his defender on the right wing and set up Tyler Bird coming down the slot, but Gillam smothered the shot without spilling a rebound.

With 55 seconds left, Naclerio entered the zone wide and centered to Lappin, but Gillam made an extraordinary save with his left toe. Brown regained possession behind the net and set up Brady Schoo for an open shot from the high slot five seconds later, but Gillam aggressively charged out beyond his crease to cut down the angle and make the save. The flurry was capped off five second after that, when Schoo threw the puck from the left halfwall on net with Marchin creating a screen, but Gillam pinned it underneath him.

After Cornell took the lead, the defense buckled down to swallow up a lot of Brown shots and keep a lot of others from angles on the perimeter. The Bears had two power plays killed in quick succession in the third period, then they pulled Ernst after calling a timeout with 1:42 to play. Gillam stopped Brown’s last gasp with 1:11 left on a Tommy Marchin jam attempt. Ernst made 15 saves in the loss.

Cornell takes a quick break from league play for its next game, when it travels to The Most Famous Arena for the fourth semiannual Red Hot Hockey game against Boston University at 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 28 at Madison Square Garden in New York.

[do_widget id= text-61 ]

Jeff Stein is the founder and former editor of the Ithaca Voice.