The following is a republished news release from the Ithaca Fire Department. It was NOT written by The Ithaca Voice… click here to submit community announcements directly to The Voice, or contact us at

A porch fire Thursday in Ithaca was a close call for the residents and serves as another good reminder for being careful with smoking materials.

Tompkins County 911 took the call around 3:00 p.m. Thursday reporting a porch fire at 121 Catherine Street in the City of Ithaca. A resident there noticed the porch ablaze and called for help. Ithaca Firefighters from Collegetown Station 9, just around the corner, arrived quickly to find flames coming from the back porch.

Crews ensured that everyone was out and moved a hose line to the rear of the building and knocked down the fire.

The cause of the fire was determined to be poorly discarded cigarettes that ignited in a trash bin. Ithaca Police and Bangs Ambulance assisted on the scene as well.

No one was injured and only minor damage occurred, but the outcome could have been far worse. The Ithaca Fire Department urges residents to be careful with smoking materials and be sure that they are fully extinguished when done. Smoking is the leading cause of home fire deaths in our country.

Jolene Almendarez is Managing Editor at The Ithaca Voice. She can be reached at; you can learn more about her at the links in the top right of this box.