The following is a republished press release and NOT written by The Ithaca Voice. Click here to submit community announcements directly to The Voice, or contact me at email@example.com.
ITHACA, N.Y. — It’s your time to shine. You’ve been practicing all year and this is it. Who will win a medal? Who will dress to impress? Who will represent their favorite country, celebrity, or vegetable? We’ve been doing this for almost 20 years and we’re on a roll. Come to the Ithaca Farmers’ Market and join the perfect trifecta of community theater, celebrating Ithaca and winter, and hardbody athletes at their prime exemplifying beauty and strength.
Assemblywoman Barbara Lifton is slated to throw the ceremonial first rutabaga which starts our 2016 Rutabaga Curl off! The Curl will be held next Saturday, December 17th, at the Ithaca Farmers Market’s Steamboat Landing Pavilion, regardless of weather conditions!
Knives will be provided for participants to make up to 3 cuts to alter the shape of their rutabaga on the day of the curl near the registration table if they choose to do so.
Until the games begin we encourage people to practice their rolling technique, start growing your beard (or not shaving wherever you had been shaving) and to think costumes!
- Farmers Market goes from 10-2PM.
- Registration for the Curl starts at 10 am.
- The Games start at noon, with the Rutabaga Parade of Athletes and the Rutabaga Choir.
- The cost is $5 for participants in both the Rutabaga Curl and Turnip Toss, which is for youngsters up to 8 years old.
- Tee shirts will be available for sale at the Registration Table at a cost of $20!
Check out the Facebook event here.
Featured photo by Jeff Lower.