ITHACA, N.Y.—Gov. Kathy Hochul announced $178.8 million in funding for projects across the state that promote more environmentally friendly modes of transportation and make walking, biking or hiking safer.

With the intention of improving access to transportation systems and helping fight climate change, the funding has been awarded to 75 communities statewide for construction of new sidewalks, shared-use paths and various other enhancement projects that encourage non-motorized travel and reduce emissions of greenhouse gasses.

As part of the project, the Village of Cayuga Heights has been awarded $2,191,838 for sidewalks to be constructed along Cayuga Heights Road. The awarded funding will cover 80% of the project costs, and the village will pay the other 20%.

Zoë Freer-Hessler is the digital editor/reporter for the Ithaca Voice. Joining in November 2021, she has covered a wide range of topics related to local news. She can be reached at,...