ITHACA, N.Y.—The Ithaca Fire Department had a rather busy Wednesday night, including a lengthy response to a restaurant on the Commons.

The fire department responded to the east end of the Commons around 9 p.m. for reports of a burning odor, according to IFD spokesperson Jim Wheal.

The fire occurred at Lev Kitchen, though it was determined to be a stovetop incident. Lev Kitchen is still reeling from an electrical fire that impacted it last month, having been closed since that incident on Feb. 16.

Wheal said crews remained on scene for about 90 minutes to determine where the odor was coming from, particularly to assess whether there was another electrical fire occurring. Eventually, firefighters found that a fire had happened in the kitchen, but that it was extinguished by the stove’s suppression system, causing slight damage.

Just prior to reporting to the Commons, IFD also responded to a bag of smoking laundry in the Hotel Ithaca, which was handled without incident.

Matt Butler

Matt Butler is the Managing Editor at the Ithaca Voice. He can be reached by email at